Saturday, March 13, 2010

'Tokyopop Sneaks 2005' Review


So I thought I'd review this sampler because it's got some Korean manhwa in it. This volume has 13 different series in it, each one having around 12 pages. Half of it is manhwa and reads left to right, the other half is manga and reads right to left. Here are the series being sampled:

(manga)
Alichino - Wow, I thought this one had AMAZING art (picture in the middle of review). Intriguing story about strange creatures that grant wishes. Seriously awesome artwork.
4/5

DearS - So they basically took the plot of Chobits but changed Chi into an alien. That's it. I hate to be harsh about it but it's pretty much Chobits. The only main difference I noticed was that instead of going for story they decided to go for all out fanservice.
1/5

Gundam Seed Astray R - I'm a fan of Gundam but this was just weird. The pages sampled are a good way into the series so I really had no idea who anyone was or what was going on.
1.5/5

Hyper Police - Cat-girl and Fox-girl are police officers who fight giant bugs. Yeah.
1.5/5

Liling-Po - This one had nice, big panels which I liked but I honestly could not stay interested in this at all. The dialogue was so painfully boring, I have no desire to read this.
1/5

Qwan - Really cool spin off of Journey to the West. Amazing art and really good action. The only thing in here that had an actual confrontation of some kind. I want to read more!
5/5


(manhwa)
Blade of Heaven - Some douchebag main character is in chains because the king of heaven is like YOU STOLE OUR SWORD YOU DICK! Yeah, it didn't do much for me.
2/5

Peach Fuzz - I thought this was going to be terrible but it was actually pretty interesting. Basically it shows what a little ferret is seeing through it's own eyes. The main girl is trying to pet it and feed it but the ferret sees her hands and a five headed hydra beast. I liked it.
3/5

PhD - Another comic about a person going to school and THE SCHOOL HAS DEMONS AND VAMPS AND SHIT! OH MANN!!!
2/5

Planet Blood - The title made it sound like a comedy but it's actually dead serious. Pretty cool story about a guy fighting a war in the future and he somehow gets sent to a different primitive world where a different war is happening. I'd like to read more.
4/5

Soul to Seoul - My favorite comic sample in here. Really odd story with really amazing art. No demons or blades or aliens or magic. Just normal people in New York. I liked it a lot.
5/5

The Tarot Cafe - Woman has psychic powers and she owns a Tarot Cafe and supernatural people go there to get their fortunes. More hot vamp guys. Seems like part of it was literally taken right from Interview with the Vampire...
I really liked some of the art though. Some of the panels of the vamp guys face are amazing.
3/5

Warcraft - That's right, folks! Warcraft! As in the top selling game series by Blizzard. I know what you're thinking: What the hell is this and why was it made? I'm thinking that too. THIS THING IS PURE SCREEN TONE! TOO MUCH GODDAMN SCREEN TONE!!
2/5

So there ya have it! A few of these previews were really good! And a lot of there were not. Yay for Qwan and Soul to Seoul!

No comments:

Post a Comment