Friday, March 19, 2010

'Saikano' #1 Review


So this manga, released by Viz, is in the category of EDITOR'S CHOICE! BOOOOOM!!
Very prestigious. I read a bit of this volume is a bookstore a few months back and liked it and now my friend is letting me borrow it so I should be reviewing the entire series! =D

Plot Summary

Two high school students, Shuji and Chise, start dating. They're both very nervous and shy so their relationship has a rocky start. Once they start getting more comfortable with each other, it's revealed that..............CHISE (the girl) IS A SUPER POWERFUL ULTIMATE WEAPON OF DESTRUCTION AND DEVASTATING DOOM!
HOLY SHIT!
Pretty random.
So they try to look past this and have a normal relationship but that doesn't work out very well.



The writer/artist (Shin Takahashi) has a very strange style. The art is very sketchbook-like and sometimes looks like it's done at very high speeds. The art takes two different styles in the manga: either the characters are fully drawn out in a typical manga-esque style or their drawn in chibi form. The chibis happen a LOT. Be prepared.

Even though I enjoyed this volume, the pacing was incredibly SLOW. It was over 200 pages and not very much happened. It was strange to me after reading The Umbrella Academy. So much can happen on one page in American comics and in manga, pacing is completely different. Even for manga pace, I thought this story moved pretty slowly. There was a lot of stuff (not trying to be rude) that I frankly, didn't care about. Events between Chise with her friends and Shuji with his friends just showing how nervous and clumsy and shy they can be. After a while it was like YES, I UNDERSTAND, LET'S MOVE ON PLEASE. Nevertheless, this manga is very interesting and I'll definitely be reviewing more.

Saikano #1: 6.9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment