Sunday, March 28, 2010

Shonen Jump #89 Review


OK SO, I have a subscription to Shonen Jump. I get it monthly and this is the first issue I've gotten since I started this blog. I've made a lot of progress in a few weeks! I have a lot of opinions about Jump and the manga serialized in it so I thought it'd be cool to review it monthly. SO WITHOUT FURTHER ADO...

I'll review issues of Jump by reviewing each series.

First thing I'd like to say is LUFFY IS ON THE COVER! YAY I LOVE ONE PIECE SO MUCH!! Currently, Shonen Jump only has four series running with two extra preview slots. I think this is pretty pathetic considering THAT IN JAPAN JUMP HAS OVER TWENTY SERIES RUNNING IN EACH ISSUE. Seriously. Alright, here we go. First series up is:

Bakuman - Holy shit, I love Bakuman so much. You may have noticed that there is a picture of Mashiro from Bakuman at the top of this blog! This is the first time Bakuman is in SJ. They're only doing a 3-issue preview which pisses me off. Why can't they just actually run it? Blah. So I discovered this series about a year ago. I downloaded a Jump manga reader thing from the Japanese site and they have random manga previews you can download. Bakuman had just been released in Japan a bit before and was now translated for the first time. I read it with glee. This series is, in a nutshell, about two guys trying to make it in life as manga ka. The story is by Tsugumi Ohba and art by Takeshi Obata, the same team that made Death Note (which I love). I WORSHIP TAKESHI OBATA. One of my heroes. He also did to art for Hikaru no Go. Amazing man. Bakuman is really amazing. Go read it right now.

5/5

Bleach - Oh boy. Bleach time. For the record, I really don't like Bleach. I've read so much and tried to get into it and I just find it incredibly corny. It's like Dragonball Z without the amazing humor and ridiculousness. I just don't like it. Sorry. So in this thrilling installment of Bleach, there were angry explosions and close ups of dramatic faces. Grantz was about to die and then he was like TIME TO EAT MY FRACCIONES WHATEVER THAT WORD IS! So then he was all healed and I was like HOLY SHIT, I AM SHOCKED, MORE BATTLE TIME. Then there was more talk like I'M GONNA KILL YOU. OH YEAH? NOT IF I KILL YOU FIRST. DOOOOOOOOOOOM. Then they didn't actually fight. Intense as hell. Then Ichigo was about to die and shockingly he somehow came through and survived. I didn't see it coming at all. Then there was some Orihime fan service. Then she healed Ichigo and Grimmjow was like TIME FOR A FAIR FIGHT CAUSE YOUR HEALED NOW! HOLY SHIT. Then they faced off for a battle of the century and I stared at the page in sheer amazement. Swords are so IN right now.

I would like to say though, despite my dislike for Bleach, I love Tite Kubo's art. He is amazingly talented. I really love his first series Zombie Powder. It had interesting characters that I cared about.

2/5 (just because he's a very talented artist)

Ultimo - I really like this series. At first, I thought it was a bit slow but it's really picking up now. The past few chapters have been amazing. It's turning into a really good giant fighting robot series. I was amused to learn that this manga takes place in the year 2012. I knew it was a few years in the future but it wasn't stated before. They've been talking a lot about the Hundred Machine Funeral and the end of the world in 2012. I love Hiroyuki Takei's (Shaman King) art style, it fits the story really well. Really good stuff.

4/5

Naruto - I really love Naruto. But lately...it just hasn't been the same. I'm pretty sick of Sasuke. I'm pretty sick of every word coming out of every person's mouth being SASUKE. Why isn't this series called Sasuke? I still enjoy reading it but all this Sasuke business needs to be resolved soon >.< And when is Naruto going to give up on Sasuke?! He doesn't care about you Naruto. Take a hint. Uchiha Madara is cool. I enjoy his evil monologues.

3/5

One Piece - OH MY GOD. THIS SERIES IS SO INCREDIBLE. I've come to the conclusion that One Piece is never bad. Ever. These past few chapters have been blowing my mind. Everything has been taking place in Impel Down for a while now, Luffy is trying to bust his brother, Ace, out of the prison. He's now teamed up with some amazing characters from the series, such as Crocodile, Buggy, and Bon Clay. A new character, Emporio Ivankov, is pretty much the coolest transgender of all time. His ultimate attack is the Death Wink. I love this series so much.

5/5



D. Gray Man - UM...WHY IS THIS HERE? I don't understand SJ anymore. Now they're just having random previews from random series at completely random parts far into the series. I've read the beginning of D. Gray Man and loved it. But this preview is from VOLUME SEVENTEEN. I have no idea who all these new people are, who they're fighting, what the conflict is, what the hell is going on? This new thing SJ is doing is called a SHOWCASE CHAPTER PREVIEW. Why? Previewing a series in the EARLY chapters make sense. But this? I didn't enjoy this very much considering I havn't read the previous fifteen volumes.

2/5

Overall, a good issue of SJ. Bakuman and One Piece win a gold star.

No comments:

Post a Comment